1. International Piano Competition « Merci, Maestro! » is open to young pianists from everywhere. The Competition will take place in Brussels, Belgium, the 20st - 22nd April 2018. It will be organised in:
- Maison communale de Woluwe-Saint-Lambert, av.P. Hymans 2, 1200 Bruxelles
- Piano’s Maene Brussels, Rue de l’Argonne 37, 1060 Bruxelles
- Gala concert: Hôtel de ville de Bruxelles, Grande Place
2. There are several categories:
CAT A: for candidates 10 years old and younger at the time of the Competition;
CAT B: for candidates from 11 to 14 years old at the time of the Competition;
CAT C: for candidates from 15 to 20 years old for the time of the Competition.
3. The Competition is divided into the first round and one final round for each category. All the exams are open to public and completely free of charges.
▪ First prize: 200 euro
▪ Second prize: 150 euro
▪ Third prize: 100 euro
▪ First prize: 400 euro
▪ Second prize: 300 euro
▪ Third prize: 200 euro
▪ First prize: 600 euro
▪ Second prize: 400 euro
▪ Third prize: 250 euro
If several winners receive the same number of points, the prize is distributed among them in equal proportion.
Some of the winners will be awarded with scholarships to take part in master classes with famous pianists.
All the finalists will receive diplomas for their presence at the competition. Certificate of participation will be issued to participants, who were not selected to the final round, in the evening after the announcement of the first round results.
5. Administration fees:
Competition for young pianists:
Category A: 60 euro
Category B: 70 euro
Category C: 80 euro
Fees have to be transferred at: « Ecole de musique Tchaikovsky ». Bank: ING; IBAN: BE94 3101 7895 7814 ; BIC: BBRUBEBB. Please, write « Merci, Maestro! » and the candidate’s name and surname in communication. All the costs related to money transfer should be paid by participant.
6. After filling the online application form, send a copy of the participant’s and accompanying person(s) passports and an informal photo of candidate in .jpeg format by e-mail at: email@example.com. If some information or document is missing, the registration shall be cancelled.
Forms should be sent before the 1st February 2018 for non-European Union citizens and before the 1st March 2018 for citizens of the European Union. Nevertheless, the competition is reserving the right to close the application process if the numbers of competitors for each category was reached before deadline of the application.
*Attention! Foreign participants of the Competition, who need to introduce a visa application in order to enter the Belgian territory, will receive an invitation letter confirming his/her participation in the Competition only after payment of the administration fees.
7. All works must be performed by heart. The program in the finale can possibly include ONE piece of the selected program.
8. Changes in the repertoire will not be allowed after the 1st February 2018 for non-European Union citizens and after the 1st March 2018 for citizens of the European Union.
9. The prize-winners commit themselves to giving a benefit concert for the Competition during 2018.
10. Travel and accommodation expenses are at the candidates expense. However, the candidates may introduce a request for free accommodation in one of our carefully selected host families.
*Attention!Each participant who desires to stay in the host family has to fill out the request for accommodation in a host familyand send it to the organizers of the Competition as soon as possible as the number of available places in host families is limited.He or she should also make a deposit of 50 euros. This deposit must be carried out after confirmation of your application. An amount of EUR 50 is refundable with no damage to host family’s properties and only in cash on the day after the Gala Concert in the competition secretariat. In case of refusal of the candidate to stay in the host family, the deposit will not be refunded.
To consider the accommodation in host families the full set of documents (filled-in application, photo, copy of passports and proof of payment of registration fee) should be submitted no later than January 15th 2018.
The accommodation in host families is foreseen exclusively for the dates of competition: from April, 19th (after registration in Tchaikovsky School of Music) till April 22th. Check out: 23.04.2018.
Beyond these dates no accommodation in host families is possible. If a participant would like to stay in Belgium longer, he is kindly asked to take care of his accommodation himself.
Additional information: The host families only provide rooms for accommodation. No other services are included. The participants should take care themselves about food, transportation and other needs related to their stay in host families.
11. The candidates have to be present minimum one hour before the presentation.
12. The candidates decide the pieces order of their performance.
13. The teachers cannot be in close proximity of their students during their performance.
14. If the candidate is a student of one of the jury’s members this member cannot vote.
15. The candidate who already received one prize cannot participate one more time in the same category.
16. Audience is not allowed to take pictures or video-recordings during performances.
The direction of the Competition has the right to do and reproduce all the pictures, video and audio recordings, as well as broadcasting on the radio and TV channels.
17. Members of the Jury are musicians and teachers of worldwide reputation.
18. Decisions of the jury are irrevocable. Only the members of the Jury shall be competent for any dispute. Their decisions are irrevocable and should not be justified. It Members of the jury can possibly decide not to give any prize in one category. If two candidates end up at the same place, the President of the Jury shall make a decision. There will be maximum three prizes per category.
19. The « Merci, Maestro! » Competition reserves the right, without payment of fees, to record and distribute recordings for media and other purposes, including the Internet, and to televise, broadcast, film, record, videotape, photograph or live stream all stages of the competition, all prize performances and concerts.
20. The « Merci, Maestro! » Competition reserves the right to change the conditions and rules in the interest of the competition.
21. In case of refusal of the candidate to participate in the competition, the registration fee will not be refunded.
22. All the pieces chosen by the candidates themselves must be accepted by the Jury and published in a repertoire.
23. The jury for each category can choose the program.
24. The announcement of one category’s finalists will take place after the appearance of all the candidates of the category.
25. The passage of the candidates has to be done by alphabetical order. Nevertheless, the Direction of the Competition has the right to modify their order.
26. The direction of the Competition is not responsible for any physical or material damages that could result from the participation at the contest.